Monday, June 4, 2012

Tips for Breastfeeding Twins in Public





Nursing after breakfast at the Local in Saratoga Springs


This seems like a daunting task, but have no fear. It may be a juggling act in the beginning, but if you stick with it and keep trying, it will become second nature to you. Here are some tips to prepare for nursing in public:

  1. Pack away all your crew neck shirts until you are done breastfeeding. The idea is to create an “easy access” situation for your hungry babies. Yes, you will stretch out a few v-necks but they usually bounce back in the wash. Pulling your shirt down to expose one or two breasts is a lot easier and less obvious than having to pull up your entire shirt to reveal your whole torso.
  2. Buy forgiving but supportive bras. You don’t need to buy the most expensive breastfeeding bra with all the clasps and snaps. Simple stretchy bras that you can pull over your head work wonders and go perfectly with your button ups and v-neck shirts.
  3. Fashion is your friend. Having a few scarves made from a light fabric are the perfect cover-up if you are feeling bashful in a very public area. Also those floppy bat winged cardigans that can wrap around you create great coverage without the stress.
  4. Wear your babies. Wear them as long as you can. Some women prefer wearing two sling wraps that overlap each other. The Boba Baby Wrap (http://www.bobafamily.com/) is a great wrap to wear one or both babies while they are still small. I used this method and it was by far my favorite and easiest. The boba wrap is shorter and stretchier than other wraps making it easier to put the wrap on and it keeps the babies snug and safe.

Once you are well equipped to breastfeed in public it is just a matter of finding the most comfortable positions for you and your babies to breastfeed in. If you are relaxed and comfortable with your body your babies will feel secure with you and feeding them in public will be easy and worry free. No bottles needed, just warm boobies.  

3 comments:

  1. My babies are 8 weeks old and we always use the football hold to feed... occasionally if I only am feeding one of them I will use the cradle hold. What hold are you doing in this photo, and how do you do it? Is it hard to keep the babies from falling? How do you get both of them latched?

    Sincerely yours,
    Confused and learning twin mama-mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I am sitting on a stool with my legs spread. Each child is strateling a leg and I am hugging them close. The closer they are to your body the less awkward this position is. Once they were big enough to sit up by themselves this was how I B-fed then most of the time. I also sat in a recliner and would have them 1/2 lie on me and off to the side a little. Pillows always help. Good luck and please let me know if you have any more questions!

      Delete
  2. Brianna,

    I am sitting on a stool with my legs spread. Each child is strateling a leg and I am hugging them close. The closer they are to your body the less awkward this position is. Once they were big enough to sit up by themselves this was how I B-fed then most of the time. I also sat in a recliner and would have them 1/2 lie on me and off to the side a little. Pillows always help. Good luck and please let me know if you have any more questions!

    ReplyDelete